bzr merge usability tweakage

Robey Pointer robey at lag.net
Sun May 29 21:19:48 BST 2005

On 27 May 2005, at 13:22, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Robey Pointer wrote:
> | This reminds me: I'd like to vote for "shelf" just being "undo" with
> | special options.  As far as I understand it, it just gives you more
> | hands-on control over an undo, and I think we should avoid adding a
> | bunch of strange new keywords, since IMHO this is what made tla/
> arch  so
> | awkward.
>
> A lot of people complained that Arch had too many commands.  I'm
> starting to disagree a bit.  It's not that there were too many
> commands,
> it's that they were the wrong commands, commands only a scripter could
> love, like make-category and add-log-version.
>
> My standard argument against "undo" for this kind of behavior is that
> it's not a conventional undo.  It's not what Photoshop or vim mean by
> "undo".  It's 'revert-to-last-saved-version'.  Several people have
> commented that they would expect "undo" to be able to undo a
> commit, and
> this is nothing like that.
>
> Maybe "shelve" the wrong term too, but I don't have a problem with
> introducing a bunch of commands, if they're the right commands and
> their
> names make sense.

I think you're right that "undo" is the wrong word for it -- I'm
probably just used to that because I come from arch.

My point was more that "shelve" and "undo" are really just the same
thing, one as a special case of the other, so it makes more sense to
me if they're variants of the same command (whether that's a plugin,
builtin, or whatever, I don't care). :)

robey