Possible Patch: Allow Renaming to Different Case

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Apr 27 11:43:39 BST 2005

Michael Cook wrote:

> I've updated the patch to use os.path.samefile, works just like before (except is probably slighly
> more efficient).

depends on how you define efficient:

Python 2.4 (#60, Nov 30 2004, 11:49:19) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import os
>>> os.path.samefile
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'samefile'

(samefile is only available on inode-based systems)

I think the normcase solution should be good enough, and it's guaranteed to exist
on all platforms.

</F>