Revert implmentation and how to undo a bzr remove

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Apr 27 10:42:32 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 19:21 +1000, Benno wrote:

> Right. The next question is how to get back the old id. And importantly
> how to distinguish between the case:
>
> $ bzr remove foo
> $ bzr add foo
>
> which should simply revert the "remove", and the case:
>
> $ bzr remove foo
> $ bzr commit -m "Removed foo"
> $ rm foo
> $ touch foo
> $ bzr add foo
>
> Where foo is a new file totally different to the orginal foo, so should
> have a different UUID.

I was wondering about 'bzr resurrect FILE' which brings it back with the
same content and ID it had when it last existed, even if that was more
than one revision ago.  Perhaps this is too specialized to deserve a
command of its own but I think it's a moderately common operation.

> Of course then there is the case of how to actually
> revert the commit, as opposed to just reverting a working copy.

There can be a command other than 'revert' that makes a revision not be
on the revision-history anymore, or possibly one that destroys it.

> In any case, I'm not sure how to get access to the old UUID, expect by stashing
> it into a file somewhere.

It should be "bzr file-id -r REV FILE" or "bzr ls --show-ids -r REV",
but neither work at the moment.

--
Martin