Tags

Steve Christensen stnchris at xmission.com
Wed Apr 20 20:40:28 BST 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 10:45 -0700, John Corpening wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We use CVS at work to do version control. We considered subversion
> > but decided not to use it for a number of reasons. I was not in the
> > group that reviewed subversion but one big problem that I can see
> > with it is how it handles branches and tags.
> >
> > We very often use CVS tags to mark the state of our project at
> > certain key times (most often for our milestone deliverables). Our
> > projects are usually too large for any one person to have more than
> > one copy of it on their machine at a time. This is due in large part
> > to the art assets that we have (we make video games).
>
> How large are your files and whole trees?

I'm not the O.P., but in case you're interested...

At my previous employer, one of our products shipped with a database
consisting of terrain elevation data and imagery of the whole Earth.

We used ClearCase to archive the source and final data. I'm not sure how
much space it took on the server, but when pulled down onto a client
machine the 'head' versions of all files was around 180 GB (~20,000
files, 700+ folders).

The upper limit on file size was 2GB. I don't think ClearCase imposed
that limit,  our tools that generated the data would split large output
files into 2GB chunks.

-Steve