Ignore use case: explicit ignore necessary?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Apr 18 14:44:35 BST 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 02:50:40PM +0200, Jo Vermeulen wrote:
>Hello again :-)
>
>I was reading the "ignore" use case [1], and wondered if ignoring files
>should be made explicit. As far as I know, darcs [2] for example only
>adds explicitly, and ignores the rest. So .pyc files would be
>automatically ignored. This is not very ideal if you just added a new
>source file though. Although you probably *know* this file belongs in
>the repository, so you won't likely forget to explicitly add it.
>
>I'm not sure what the best solution is, but it seems implicit ignoring
>could save the user some time.

I think the over-all guiding principle for bazaar-ng is to not surprise
its users. IMHO it is less surprising to do both explicit adding and
explicit ignoring. By supporting glob patterns in the ignore-file it's
not much of a burden.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
     -- Bob (on Slashdot)