Slow startup?

Simon Ekstrand bazaar-ng at mlists.sii.se
Thu Apr 14 19:51:04 BST 2005

Jo Vermeulen <jo at lumumba.luc.ac.be> writes:
> Eliminating these calls (socket.getfqdn), but still including all the
> extra printing I did cuts off 2 whole seconds!
>
> $ bzr
> real    0m0.557s
> user    0m0.310s
> sys     0m0.120s

Can you manually resolve (with 'host' or similar) the output of
'python -c "import socket; print socket.gethostname()"' ?
Is the time it takes similar to the two seconds noted above?

socket.getfqdn makes a gethostbyaddr call which is probably what's taking
time. It should however be very fast if your own hostname is included in
/etc/hosts, which is generally the case.

--
Simon