Slow startup?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Apr 14 14:31:03 BST 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 02:57:04PM +0200, Jo Vermeulen wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I tried bzr (the development tree) and it felt pretty slow. Any ideas
>what may cause this? It seems there is a lot of processing done each
>time at startup.
>
>Here are some figures:
>
>powerhorse:~ jo$ time bzr
>usage: bzr COMMAND
>  try "bzr help"
>
>real    0m2.543s
>user    0m0.310s
>sys     0m0.120s
>
>This is on a 17 inch Powerbook (1.67 GHz G4), running Mac OS X Panther.
>
>Please note I don't want to start the traditional "Python is slow, use
>C" discussion :-) I like Python very much. But I'm just wondering if
>the slowness has something to do with my system, and what is causing
>it.

Are these figures from the first time you run bzr?

Do keep in mind that Python will try to byte-compile stuff the first
time, this means that the second time you run it _should_ be faster.

I get the following figures:

real    0m0.395s
user    0m0.229s
sys     0m0.029s

This on a Pentium3, 800MHz, running Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.