Introduction

Shane Holloway (IEEE) shane.holloway at ieee.org
Mon Apr 11 20:02:09 BST 2005

Just wanted to say a quick hello to the Bazaar-NG folks.

First I'd like give you kudos about choosing python to develop in!  I
think it is a much more sane choice than C for actually making progress
toward a usable revisioning system that is maintainable.  :)  But then
again, I'm a corrupt pythonista.  ;)  (Great argument showing that most
revisioning systems are IO/Network bound, btw.)

As for me, I'm currently a subversion user mainly because of their
awesome documentation and portability.  I don't really like the
dependencies of building the system, and I have no desire to hack on the
project.  I love the O(1) branches and being able to muck around with
subdirectories without the entire repository.  I also like how easy it
is to use.

However, I don't like not having a local repository for tracking small,
rapid changes I make in experimentation.  Or for disconnected
operations.  It begins to feel like free-climbing 15 meters above your
last pin when you are at a customer site making lots of customizations.
  And it sure would be nice to be able to make little repositories
between two (or more) developers for conferences, prototyping
jam-sessions, and the like.  ;)

I'm very encouraged by finding Bazaar-NG.  For one, in a language I
think is a good choice for developing tools in.  For another, it is
distributed and based on much newer ideas than SVN/CVS. Finally, because
the project is in the initial stages and budding -- it is something I
might even feel like hacking on!

Oh, and Hello!  ;)

Thanks,
-Shane Holloway