repository network access?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Apr 11 00:16:20 BST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 10:54 +0200, Jeroen Janssen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just want to say that one of the things I like about subversion is
> that it is possible to use http to access a (remote) repository.
>
> I'm not able to use CVS, SSH, RSYNC, etc at work (due to the
> configuration of the firewall/proxyserver/etc) and unfortunately that is
> not going to change. However it IS possible to use the proxyserver to
> access http/ftp servers.
>
> I don't know about other companies, but I assume that this might be a
> common problem (not being able to use CVS, SSH, etc). Fortunately, most
> companies have a working (http/ftp) proxy server for people (to browse
> the internet, etc).
>
> I hope that (eventually) it will be possible to also use bzr through a
> (http/ftp) proxy server.

Hi,

Yes, that will be possible.  In fact, it will be somewhat better than
with Subversion because you just put files on any web server without
needing to install a special module.  (darcs and arch do this too.)

I started writing some code to do this, which is in the bzrlib directory
but currently not called.

At the moment I'm using rsync for two reasons: I haven't finished the
code, and rsync is much faster than most http clients for downloading a
set of files.  In the future we could also try zsync.

--
Martin