How can I help?

Martin Pool mbp at
Sat Apr 9 03:37:21 BST 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 01:58 +0200, Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:

> BTW, I'm the co-authour of pycurl ( ) and
> could help you out with the network stuff in case you would want to
> consider using it.
> Of course, for the initial prototype you can use pure Python, but
> network code is error prone and hard to test and debug. Also, libcurl
> offers some astonishing performance features ("multi handles").
> OTOS it may not be a good idea to add external dependencies at this
> time. Still, this might free up your development time for more important
> things (2 months remain for the linux kernel challenge... ;-))

At the moment I want it to be just one download with no dependencies
other than Python, which tends to rule out any C extensions.  I wouldn't
mind adding it as an optional import, in the same way as cElementTree is

urlgrabber can do multiple threads and keepalives, which are probably
key to getting good performance?  I guess pycurl can do this too.  Do
you have any idea how they compare on other factors?