bzr 0.0.3 released

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 7 21:32:12 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 15:27 +0200, Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:

> Martin Pool wrote:
> >>And somewhat related to mv, I think that automatically removing files
> >>from the repo is a really bad idea. Think of "vi a", "mv b c", "bzr
> >>commit". "mv b c" should have been "bzr mv", but now b has silently been
> >>removed without any warning. No file should get added without "bzr add",
> >>and none removed without "bzr remove".
> >

> > Only 'no warning' if you commit without checking the status or diff,
> > which I suppose people do sometimes do.
> >
> > So you'd rather have an error if you tried to commit when some files had
> > been removed?
>
> Yes, it should be an error whenever a file has vanished without an
> explicit "remove". This is not only for symetry with "add", but also
> essential given the importance of the archival nature of a SCM system.

I disagree that an error should be given, the sky isn't falling ...
simply providing a common status indication for "file is missing in
working copy" would be sufficient:

$ bzr commit
!   some-file.txt
?   other-file.txt
M   third-file.txt
A   new-file.txt

Indicate to the user it was missing, and carry on as if it was there
without any changes.  If the user wanted to remove it, they can always
do "baz rm" and commit that next (likewise, they may want to add that
extra file).

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant          Ubuntu Down Under -- 25th - 30th April 2005
scott at ubuntu.com                     Vibe Rushcutters, Sydney, Australia