bazaar-ng news

Daniel Gryniewicz dang at fprintf.net
Wed Apr 6 15:36:02 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 19:49 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:

> > Even if you're maybe true that unification of move and rename can causes
> > trouble, we use it so long that it will be difficult to change. Specialy
> > that svn and arch works like unix isn't it ?
> > It should be also bzr moves instead of renames...
>
> > I think about people who will want to try quickly, they will sure try
> > bzr mv and bzr move for rename... Even just after reading about theses
> > new command i did mistakes !
>
> I did it this way after an unscientific user test showed it would work
> better, but if you've tried it and have trouble let me know.

This bit me too, because of my unix background.  I suspect it will bite
all unix users.  If I may make a suggestion, I would say make rename and
move be synonyms.  That way, people from unix backgrounds will use move
for everything, and people from other backgrounds will use move to move
and rename to rename.  You could even document them differently, but put
a note in the move docs saying that "if you're from a unix background,
note that can also be used to rename", and the non-unix people will
likely ignore it.

Daniel