encoding

William Dode wilk-ml at flibuste.net
Mon Apr 4 13:25:58 BST 2005

Szekeres István <szekeres at iii.hu> writes:

>> > UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 10: ordinal not in range(128)
>>
>> Are your locale variables (at least LC_CTYPE) set correctly?
>
> Sorry, I was too fast. On my system it also fails with the same problem with
> correct locale variables.

Yes, in site.py there are theses lines by default to ignore default
locale :

# Set the string encoding used by the Unicode implementation.  The
# default is 'ascii', but if you're willing to experiment, you can
# change this.

encoding = "ascii" # Default value set by _PyUnicode_Init()

if 0:
    # Enable to support locale aware default string encodings.
    import locale
    loc = locale.getdefaultlocale()
    if loc[1]:
        encoding = loc[1]

If we change ``if 0:`` by ``if 1:`` it will works.

--
William - http://flibuste.net