RFC: handling of ignore files

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sun Mar 27 10:07:34 BST 2005

Like CVS, bazaar-ng allows you to specify a list of files which are
ignored: temporary files, backups, built programs, and so on.  The only
effect is that they can be present in a working tree and not reported as
unversioned.

There is a builtin default ignore list: .bzr.log, *~, #*#, *.tmp, *.bak,
*.o, *.a, *.py[oc], {arch}, CVS, .svn, _darcs.

You can add your own patterns by creating a .bzrignore file at the top
of the tree.  In the future I may add an option to make a file in a
subdirectory that matches only from that point downwards.

At the moment if you create a .bzrignore file the defaults are not used.
   This is a bit undesirable.

Q: Should the defaults always be active, or do you think people ever
want a way to turn them off?  I think they're pretty conservative, so it
might be OK to always leave them on.

If there needs to be a way to turn them off, then how should that be
done?  One way is to have 'bzr init' create a default .bzrignore file,
which means it is simple to see how to remove patterns.  This is also
consistent with tla, fwiw.  But it is perhaps a bit distasteful to
create files within the working directory.

--
Martin