Bazaar is now a GNU project

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Feb 26 08:10:36 GMT 2008

 I'm happy to announce that Bazaar is now officially a GNU project.

 This decision was taken after consultation with some of the core
 Bazaar developers, Canonical management, and Richard Stallman, leader
 of the GNU project.

 If we can help other GNU projects, by extending Bazaar to meet their
 needs or in other ways we will.  Over time we will come into more
 compliance with the GNU technical and process standards, by sending
 patches through the regular review process.  Our review process, and
 licence will remain the same, and copyright will still be held by
 Canonical under the current agreement with contributors.

 Bazaar is already supported on savanah.gnu.org, the Free Software
 Foundation's project hosting server, as well as on Canonical's
 Launchpad.net development nexus.

Canonical is delighted by the GNU project's decision and remains as
engaged as ever in the Bazaar project.  We think Bazaar is a great
tool, we like using it for many of our projects, including Launchpad
and Ubuntu.  Andrew, Ian, John,
Robert and myself will still be actively working on developing Bazaar,
and indeed meeting next week with some of our most active
co-developers in London.

 --

Martin