bazaar 0.15final released
mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Apr 2 08:46:12 BST 2007
The Bazaar version control system developers are happy to announce the
release of bzr 0.15.
This release contains many improvements since the last stable release,
* A much faster working directory format. This is the default format
for new checkouts and branches; existing working directories can be
upgraded in place with ''bzr upgrade --dirstate''.
* Built-in support for tags (symbolic names for revisions). Tags can
be enabled by passing the --dirstate-tags option to the upgrade or
* Format support for tree references, where bzr records references to
independently developed trees. This is accessible through the
dirstate-subtree branch format, but is only recommended for
experimentation, not production use in this release.
Many thanks to all the contributors to this release! Bug reports,
questions and suggestions are always welcome, to
bazaar at lists.canonical.com, or on #bzr on irc.freenode.net.
bzr 0.15 2007-04-01
* Handle incompatible repositories as a user issue when fetching.
* Don't give a recommendation to upgrade when branching or
checking out a branch that contains an old-format working tree.
bzr 0.15rc3 2007-03-26
* A warning is now displayed when opening working trees in older
formats, to encourage people to upgrade to WorkingTreeFormat4.
* HTTP redirections are now taken into account when a branch (or a
bundle) is accessed for the first time. A message is issued at each
redirection to inform the user. In the past, http redirections were
silently followed for each request which significantly degraded the
performances. The http redirections are not followed anymore by
default, instead a RedirectRequested exception is raised. For bzrlib
users needing to follow http redirections anyway,
bzrlib.transport.do_catching_redirections provide an easy transition
* Added ``ReadLock.temporary_write_lock()`` to allow upgrading an OS read
lock to an OS write lock. Linux can do this without unlocking, Win32
needs to unlock in between. (John Arbash Meinel)
* New parameter ``recommend_upgrade`` to BzrDir.open_workingtree
to silence (when false) warnings about opening old formats.
* Fix minor performance regression with bzr-0.15 on pre-dirstate
trees. (We were reading the working inventory too many times).
(John Arbash Meinel)
* Take smtp_server from user config into account.
* Restore Unicode filename handling for versioned and unversioned files.
(John Arbash Meinel, #92608)
* Don't fail during ``bzr commit`` if a file is marked removed, and
the containing directory is auto-removed. (John Arbash Meinel, #93681)
* ``bzr status FILENAME`` failed on Windows because of an uncommon
errno. (``ERROR_DIRECTORY == 267 != ENOTDIR``).
(Wouter van Heyst, John Arbash Meinel, #90819)
* ``bzr checkout source`` should create a local branch in the same
format as source. (John Arbash Meinel, #93854)
* ``bzr commit`` with a kind change was failing to update the
last-changed-revision for directories. The
InventoryDirectory._unchanged only looked at the parent_id and name,
ignoring the fact that the kind could have changed, too.
(John Arbash Meinel, #90111)
* ``bzr mv dir/subdir other`` was incorrectly updating files inside
the directory. So that there was a chance it would break commit,
etc. (John Arbash Meinel, #94037)
* Correctly handles mutiple permanent http redirections.
bzr 0.15rc2 2007-03-14
NOTES WHEN UPGRADING:
* Release 0.15rc2 of bzr changes the ``bzr init-repo`` command to
default to ``--trees`` instead of ``--no-trees``.
Existing shared repositories are not affected.
* New ``merge-directive`` command to generate machine- and human-readable
merge requests. (Aaron Bentley)
* New ``submit:`` revision specifier makes it easy to diff against the
common ancestor with the submit location (Aaron Bentley)
* Added support for Putty's SSH implementation. (Dmitry Vasiliev)
* Added ``bzr status --versioned`` to report only versioned files,
not unknowns. (Kent Gibson)
* Merge now autodetects the correct line-ending style for its conflict
markers. (Aaron Bentley)
* Refactored SSH vendor registration into SSHVendorManager class.
* New ``--numbered-dirs`` option to ``bzr selftest`` to use
numbered dirs for TestCaseInTempDir. This is default behavior
on Windows. Anyone can force named dirs on Windows
with ``--no-numbered-dirs``. (Alexander Belchenko)
* Fix ``RevisionSpec_revid`` to handle the Unicode strings passed in
from the command line. (Marien Zwart, #90501)
* Fix ``TreeTransform._iter_changes`` when both the source and
destination are missing. (Aaron Bentley, #88842)
* Fix commit of merges with symlinks in dirstate trees.
* Switch the ``bzr init-repo`` default from --no-trees to --trees.
(Wouter van Heyst, #53483)
bzr 0.15rc1 2007-03-07
* The default disk format has changed. Please run 'bzr upgrade' in your
working trees to upgrade. This new default is compatible for network
operations, but not for local operations. That is, if you have two
versions of bzr installed locally, after upgrading you can only use the
bzr 0.15 version. This new default does not enable tags or nested-trees
as they are incompatible with bzr versions before 0.15 over the network.
* For users of bzrlib: Two major changes have been made to the working tree
api in bzrlib. The first is that many methods and attributes, including
the inventory attribute, are no longer valid for use until one of
lock_read/lock_write/lock_tree_write has been called, and become invalid
again after unlock is called. This has been done to improve performance
and correctness as part of the dirstate development. (Robert Collins,
John A Meinel, Martin Pool, and others).
* For users of bzrlib: The attribute 'tree.inventory' should be considered
readonly. Previously it was possible to directly alter this attribute, or
its contents, and have the tree notice this. This has been made
unsupported - it may work in some tree formats, but in the newer dirstate
format such actions will have no effect and will be ignored, or even
cause assertions. All operations possible can still be carried out by a
combination of the tree API, and the bzrlib.transform API. (Robert
Collins, John A Meinel, Martin Pool, and others).
* Support for OS Windows 98. Also .bzr.log on any windows system
saved in My Documents folder. (Alexander Belchenko)
* ``bzr mv`` enhanced to support already moved files.
In the past the mv command would have failed if the source file doesn't
exist. In this situation ``bzr mv`` would now detect that the file has
already moved and update the repository accordingly, if the target file
A new option ``--after`` has been added so that if two files already
exist, you could notify Bazaar that you have moved a (versioned) file
and replaced it with another. Thus in this case ``bzr move --after``
will only update the Bazaar identifier.
(Steffen Eichenberg, Marius Kruger)
* ``ls`` now works on treeless branches and remote branches.
* ``bzr help global-options`` describes the global options.
* ``bzr pull --overwrite`` will now correctly overwrite checkouts.
* Files are now allowed to change kind (e.g. from file to symlink).
Supported by ``commit``, ``revert`` and ``status``
* ``inventory`` and ``unknowns`` hidden in favour of ``ls``
* ``bzr help checkouts`` descibes what checkouts are and some possible
uses of them. (James Westby, Aaron Bentley)
* A new ``-d`` option to push, pull and merge overrides the default
directory. (Martin Pool)
* Branch format 6: smaller, and potentially faster than format 5. Supports
"append_history_only" mode, where the log view and revnos do not change,
except by being added to. Stores policy settings in
* append_only branches: Format 6 branches may be configured so that log
view and revnos are always consistent. Either create the branch using
"bzr init --append-revisions-only" or edit the config file as descriped
* rebind: Format 6 branches retain the last-used bind location, so if you
"bzr unbind", you can "bzr bind" to bind to the previously-selected
* Builtin tags support, created and deleted by the ``tag`` command and
stored in the branch. Tags can be accessed with the revisionspec
``-rtag:``, and listed with ``bzr tags``. Tags are not versioned
at present. Tags require a network incompatible upgrade. To perform this
upgrade, run ``bzr upgrade --dirstate-tags`` in your branch and
repositories. (Martin Pool)
* The bzr:// transport now has a well-known port number, 4155, which it will
use by default. (Andrew Bennetts, Martin Pool)
* Bazaar now looks for user-installed plugins before looking for site-wide
plugins. (Jonathan Lange)
* ``bzr resolve`` now detects and marks resolved text conflicts.
* Internally revision ids and file ids are now passed around as utf-8
bytestrings, rather than treating them as Unicode strings. This has
performance benefits for Knits, since we no longer need to decode the
revision id for each line of content, nor for each entry in the index.
This will also help with the future dirstate format.
(John Arbash Meinel)
* Reserved ids (any revision-id ending in a colon) are rejected by
versionedfiles, repositories, branches, and working trees
* Minor performance improvement by not creating a ProgressBar for
every KnitIndex we create. (about 90ms for a bzr.dev tree)
(John Arbash Meinel)
* New easier to use Branch hooks facility. There are five initial hooks,
all documented in bzrlib.branch.BranchHooks.__init__ - 'set_rh',
'post_push', 'post_pull', 'post_commit', 'post_uncommit'. These hooks
fire after the matching operation on a branch has taken place, and were
originally added for the branchrss plugin. (Robert Collins)
* New method ``Branch.push()`` which should be used when pushing from a
branch as it makes performance and policy decisions to match the UI
level command ``push``. (Robert Collins).
* Add a new method ``Tree.revision_tree`` which allows access to cached
trees for arbitrary revisions. This allows the in development dirstate
tree format to provide access to the callers to cached copies of
inventory data which are cheaper to access than inventories from the
(Robert Collins, Martin Pool)
* New Branch.last_revision_info method, this is being done to allow
optimization of requests for both the number of revisions and the last
revision of a branch with smartservers and potentially future branch
formats. (Wouter van Heyst, Robert Collins)
* Allow 'import bzrlib.plugins.NAME' to work when the plugin NAME has not
yet been loaded by load_plugins(). This allows plugins to depend on each
other for code reuse without requiring users to perform file-renaming
gymnastics. (Robert Collins)
* New Repository method 'gather_stats' for statistic data collection.
This is expected to grow to cover a number of related uses mainly
related to bzr info. (Robert Collins)
* Log formatters are now managed with a registry.
``log.register_formatter`` continues to work, but callers accessing
the FORMATTERS dictionary directly will not.
* Allow a start message to be passed to the ``edit_commit_message``
function. This will be placed in the message offered to the user
for editing above the separator. It allows a template commit message
to be used more easily. (James Westby)
* ``GPGStrategy.sign()`` will now raise ``BzrBadParameterUnicode`` if
you pass a Unicode string rather than an 8-bit string. Callers need
to be updated to encode first. (John Arbash Meinel)
* Branch.push, pull, merge now return Result objects with information
about what happened, rather than a scattering of various methods. These
are also passed to the post hooks. (Martin Pool)
* File formats and architecture is in place for managing a forest of trees
in bzr, and splitting up existing trees into smaller subtrees, and
finally joining trees to make a larger tree. This is the first iteration
of this support, and the user-facing aspects still require substantial
work. If you wish to experiment with it, use ``bzr upgrade
--dirstate-with-subtree`` in your working trees and repositories.
You can use the hidden commands ``split`` and ``join`` and to create
and manipulate nested trees, but please consider using the nested-trees
branch, which contains substantial UI improvements, instead.
(Aaron Bentley, Martin Pool, Robert Collins).
* ``bzr annotate`` now uses dotted revnos from the viewpoint of the
branch, rather than the last changed revision of the file.
(John Arbash Meinel, #82158)
* Lock operations no longer hang if they encounter a permission problem.
* ``bzr push`` can resume a push that was canceled before it finished.
Also, it can push even if the target directory exists if you supply
the ``--use-existing-dir`` flag.
(John Arbash Meinel, #30576, #45504)
* Fix http proxy authentication when user and an optional
password appears in the ``*_proxy`` vars. (Vincent Ladeuil,
* ``bzr log branch/file`` works for local treeless branches
(Aaron Bentley, #84247)
* Fix problem with UNC paths on Windows 98. (Alexander Belchenko, #84728)
* Searching location of CA bundle for PyCurl in env variable
and on win32 along the PATH. (Alexander Belchenko, #82086)
* ``bzr init`` works with unicode argument LOCATION.
(Alexander Belchenko, #85599)
* Raise DependencyNotPresent if pycurl do not support https. (Vincent
* Invalid proxy env variables should not cause a traceback.
(Vincent Ladeuil, #87765)
* Ignore patterns normalised to use '/' path separator.
(Kent Gibson, #86451)
* bzr rocks. It sure does! Fix case. (Vincent Ladeuil, #78026)
* Fix bzrtools shelve command for removed lines beginning with "--"
(Johan Dahlberg, #75577)
* New ``--first`` option to ``bzr selftest`` to run specified tests
before the rest of the suite. (Martin Pool)
More information about the bazaar-announce