[apparmor] IPC and sockets

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Thu Feb 15 19:32:02 UTC 2018

Hi Slava,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 05:21:43PM +0200, Viacheslav Salnikov wrote:
> does AppArmor complain about communication through the unix domain
> sockets into dmesg?

AppArmor's kernel mediation uses the audit facility, which on most systems
does go through dmesg, but with lossy rate-limiting output. Probably
"yes" is the answer you're looking for here :) but I wanted to give a
fuller picture.

> All I've got - AppArmor can restrict access to named unix socket as a
> file - because it is a file - without using "deny unix". Actually, deny
> unix does not work for me with named sockets.

Correct; the sockets in the filesystem have course rules compared to
the sockets in the abstract and unnamed namespaces:

   Unix socket rules
       AppArmor supports fine grained mediation of unix domain
       abstract and anonymous sockets. Unix domain sockets with file
       system paths are mediated via file access rules.
   [...]

Thanks