[apparmor] test git repo

Tyler Hicks tyhicks at canonical.com
Tue Oct 10 05:19:10 UTC 2017

On 10/03/2017 12:46 PM, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Steve Beattie:
>> So to be explicit, I'm not aware of anyone seriously suggesting we
>> stay with Launchpad. What I'd personally rather hear are the pros and
>> cons of maintaining a project on github vs gitlab, because I don't
>> have experience doing so with either service. Most of my personal
>> experience with either has been related to tracking down individual
>> commits to cherry-pick for security updates, along with filing PRs.
>
> I'm not using GitHub to maintain any project so I can't tell.
>
> I'm using GitLab as one of the main maintainers of a few small
> projects (some on gitlab.com, some other 0xacab.org). So far I like
> it. The "merge if tests pass" button is amazing, once I've managed to
> convince myself that it's OK that a machine commits to the repo (but
> then I always compare the merge done by GitLab to the one I've done
> locally ;)
>
> I'm not 100% convinced by the "flat namespace for issues" model, i.e.
> do everything with tags. But apparently it works for big projects…
> like developing the GitLab software itself. So I guess one simply has
> to adjust their workflow to the tool/concepts rather than try to make
> a pre-existing workflow, formatted for other issue tracking tools,
> work as-is in GitLab. Last time I checked, GitHub had exactly the same
> "problem" here.
>
>> (I personally have a mild bias against github due to it not being
>> open source and seemingly fostering a culture of harassment and abuse.)
>
> Same. Unless there are very strong good reasons to go with GitHub, the
> ability to move projects to another GitLab instance whenever we want
> is the decisive factor for me. When using GitHub I feel that I'm
> donating some of my work, data and power for free to an external
> entity, which does not fit very well into my ethics.

I understand and respect this point of view. However, I also recognize
the value of drive-by contributions (which may turn into more regular
contributions) that, as I understand it, are much more likely to happen
on GitHub than GitLab. We shouldn't ignore that as more involvement in
the project would be a wonderful outcome from changing the project hosting.

Tyler