[apparmor] [yast-devel] apparmor: Texteditor

Josef Reidinger jreidinger at suse.cz
Mon Apr 3 14:25:56 UTC 2017

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 09:13:27 -0500
Goldwyn Rodrigues <rgoldwyn at suse.de> wrote:

> Cross post apparmor+yast mailing list.

Hi Goldwyn,

> While hacking on yast-apparmor to remove perl library dependency, we
> discussed on apparmor mailing list that we cannot have all possible
> options and the information in yast to facilitate modification of
> configuration files. So, a dumb text editor would be the best option
> to configuration. After the user modifies the file, it would checked
> by apparmor_parser for validity.
>
> However, I could not find any options in Yast which would provide a
> text editor or I din't look in the right places.
>
> What do you think of the idea?

At first, thanks for hacking on yast2-apparmor, which definively need
some love. At second, I am not sure if text editor is good idea.
Yast goal should be at first to provide easy to setup tool with
guidance, so it is fine if very expect only options are not in GUI.
To be honest I do not see much advantage in text editor in YaST against
specialized text editors. Of course what you can do is to start from
yast $EDITOR and after exit do something, but we have no builtin
support for it.

In past similar think is done by sudo, which have its editor, that
visudo, but it can be done quite easily with `$EDITOR %1 and
apparmor_parser`.

In general I think yast goal is to allows non-expert to do common
configuration, so support options that majority of users find useful.
Of course, it is not easy to judge what is still common and what is
expert only, but we should keep common sense. For example enabling
debugging is probably not something common user need, another example
is OWLSM enablement can be there with proper info that it can break
setup.

I hope that answers your question even if it is probably not what you
are looking for.

Josef