[apparmor] Installing apparmor-tools with zypper/yast (openSUSE 13.2): too many dependencies?

Christian Boltz apparmor at cboltz.de
Wed Oct 14 17:42:37 UTC 2015

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 14. Oktober 2015 schrieb Robert Munteanu:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 1:54 PM,  <s at schinger.de> wrote:
> > I don't know if this is the right way to ask for help, sorry. But
> > can
> > you please tell me if it is normal when installing apparmor-tools
> > with zypper or yast under openSUSE 13.2, than there will be also
> > hundreds (~250!) of further packages installed like Mesa,
> > PackageKit, samba-client and many libraries? I can't get the point
> > why they should be neccessary. It is a webserver which should NOT
> > run samba etc. so how it would be possible (if so) to install
> > apparmor WITHOUT this stuff (~300 Mb!) but only with the minimum
> > needs for managing profiles?
> This is most likely SUSE-specific, but IIRC apparmor-utils recommends
> libnotify-send, to send desktop notifications.

Right. That's used by aa-notify -p - and I'm sure you'll never use
desktop notifications on a server ;-)  (the other parts of aa-notify
work without libnotify-send)

That said: that's indeed an interesting[tm] dependency chain!

> The solution is to use zypper in --no-recommends for installing
> apparmor.

Or zypper al libnotify-send ;-)

BTW: apparmor-utils also recommend net-tools (in 13.2 and leap) or
net-tools-deprecated (tumbleweed) because aa-unconfined needs netstat.
The good thing about net-tools{,-deprecated} is that it doesn't drag in
a large dependency chain, so you might want to install that one.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Der Tag hat 24 Stunden und wenn es sein muss,
dann arbeiten wir auch noch nachts!