[apparmor] [patch] Change /bin/ paths in profiles to also match on /usr/bin/

Christian Boltz apparmor at cboltz.de
Sat Oct 3 18:40:23 UTC 2015

Hello,

Am Montag, 21. September 2015 schrieb Simon Deziel:
> On 09/18/2015 06:09 PM, Seth Arnold wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 09:54:58PM +0200, Christian Boltz wrote:
> >> oftc_ftw reported on IRC that Arch Linux has a symlink /bin ->
> >> /usr/bin. This means we have to update paths for /bin/ in several
> >> profiles to also allow /usr/bin/
> >
> > I think this would be better solved by alias rules, one
> >
> >   alias /bin -> /usr/bin,
>
> I like this idea and I'm wondering why it wasn't used for the
> transition from /var/run to /run?

Good question. Maybe nobody thought of it, or we thought that setting up
aliases should be reserved to the user (not to shipped policy).

I can see why an alias would make the profiles easier to read.
OTOH, it can also be confusing because there's an external file
"modifying" the profile - so people reading the profile might wonder why
/bin/... works even if the binary was moved to /usr/bin/...

Therefore my personal opinion is that /{,usr/}/bin/... is the better
choice, even if it the alternation might make the profile a bit harder
to read (but still easier than having to look up aliases in another
file).

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Was glaubst Du, wie oft ich fluche, daß diese Windowskisten erst ein
explizites 'Nun speichere auch endlich in die Zwischenablage'