[apparmor] Allow totem access to dvd devices (/dev/sr*)

John Johansen john.johansen at canonical.com
Tue Nov 10 02:41:57 UTC 2015

On 11/02/2015 01:16 AM, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [I'll let others do the "code" review / debate raw hardware access /
> adjust the list of device names if needed. Here are just some minor
> process remarks to smooth Austin English's landing in here.]
>
> Austin English wrote (02 Nov 2015 03:43:07 GMT) :
>> This patch adds read permission to /dev/sr* for totem in all supported
>> versions.
>
> FYI we generally only patch the last tree, that would be ubuntu/16.04
> at the moment.

patches can be nominated for previous releases, and we do make an effort
to support the current release, as well as the dev branch.

It is unlikely we will pick up patches for older releases than the current
unless it is a serious bug, just because we don't have the man power/resources
to maintain multiple older releases. But we do what we can to help
distros who are shipping apparmor, and occasionally we have cut new versions
of old releases to help with getting patches into a distro.

>> Please review and merge. Once this is merged, it would be great to get this
>> into a release soon.
>
> FYI there are no releases of that bzr repo. But once it's been
> reviewed then the Debian's AppArmor team will happily take the patch
> into the apparmor-profiles-extra package.

so to clarify the bzr head constantly moves, but when becomes time to cut
a release a branch and tarball are made. Distros are then free to pickup
the release tar ball or role their own.

The individual distro maintainers are responsible for deciding the version
of apparmor to include and any distro patches to carry on top.