[apparmor] [patch] Test libapparmor test_multi tests against logparser.py

Steve Beattie steve at nxnw.org
Mon Aug 10 18:21:23 UTC 2015

[I haven't gotten to reviewing this patch yet, but was grabbing it to
look at later and wanted to respond to a couple of the comments...]

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 01:20:20PM +0200, Christian Boltz wrote:
> An interesting special case are exec events with network details:
>     testcase01.in, testcase12.in, testcase13.in
> Are those really real-world events (family="family" and
> sock_type="unknown(1234)" look a bit strange) or some handmade, invalid
> logs?

Yes, some of the original test messages that the log parsing component
of libapparmor were entirely synthetic. I purged/fixed some of them
because in fact they weren't accurate, but others have likely lived on.
It's hard to exactly tell the history across (a) movement of the log
parsing stuff within the repository, (b) a conversion from svn to bzr,
and (c) a move from a private svn tree to a public one.

> BTW: libapparmor from 2.9.2 fails on the dmesg-based tests (I didn't
> test with the current 2.9 branch).

Umm, what? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. I do know that
my personal jenkins infrastructure triggers builds off of every trunk
and 2.9 branch commit and as part of the binary builds involved,
make check gets run in the libapparmor tree and fails the build if
the tests fail.  (In fact the tests get run at least three times per
x86 architecture+ubuntu release; once for the build tree that has
python disabled, and once for each supported python 2 and 3 release;
the python bindings are also exercised for the latter.)

I also verified manually that the succeed from unpacking the apparmor
2.9.2 tarball and running:

  cd apparmor-2.9.2/libraries/libapparmor/ ; ./autogen.sh && \
    ./configure --with-perl --with-python --prefix=/usr && make && make check

So I'd like to know what's different about your environment that's
causing them to fail. (To be fair, there are a lot of sharp edges
hiding in there -- thanks, autotools! -- particularly around exercising
the python bindings and ensuring that the same python version is used
to drive the tests as was used to create the tested objects.)

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie at ubuntu.com>