[apparmor] Revert r1225 mistranslations (utils/po/*.po)

Christian Boltz apparmor at cboltz.de
Sat Oct 26 22:33:00 UTC 2013

Hello,

(summing up an IRC discussion from some hours ago for those who missed
it)

Am Dienstag, 17. September 2013 schrieb Christian Boltz:
> during the last days, we (as in: the usual people in #apparmor)
> discovered that the r1225 translation update introduced _lots_ of
> mistranslations in various languages, even for texts that had correct
> translations before. Also, most of the changes I commited for de.po
> recently fixed things that were introduced in r1225.
>
> Therefore I propose to completely [1] revert r1225 in trunk and also
> in the 2.8 branch.
>
> Note that r1225 is a commit from 2009, so it's likely that we'll get
> some merge conflicts.

Kshitij tried to revert r1225 today, and got about 30% rejects (line
count of patch vs. line count of *.rej files).

Additionally he noticed that hi.po contains some mistranslations from
r1114. To make things even more interesting, the infamous "Mailserver-
Domains" mistranslation in de.po was initially introduced in r198 (de.po
was added in this revision), fixed in r1114 and broken again in a later
revision.

In other words: It looks like lots of revisions potentially introduced
mistranslations, so...

> The alternative is to mark _all_ texts in _all_ languages as fuzzy, so
> that translators see them as "please check this".

... this is the only way to be sure everything gets checked and fixed.
I'd even add a notice (or send a mail) to the translators to warn them
to do the fuzzy checking extra carefully because we know there are some
mistranslations.

I also propose to completely drop the en_GB and en_US "translations"
because I see no real value in them, but several bugs.

utils/po/en_GB.po basically contains:

msgid "&Abort"
msgstr "Aborted"

msgid "(C)ancel"
msgstr "Cancel"

msgid "Severity"
msgstr "Security"

and utils/po/en_US.po contains (only quoting the "best" stuff):

msgid "Can't find AppArmor profiles in"
msgstr "Updating AppArmor profiles in %s."

msgid "Are you sure you want to exit?"
msgstr "Do you really want to use this path?"

msgid ""
"# Filter: %s, Value: %s\n"
"\n"
msgstr "# Period: %s-%s\n"

msgid "Setting %s to audit mode."
msgstr "Setting %s to complain mode."

(and probably some more - the above were enough fun for today ;-)

The parser/po/en_*.po files are not that "funny", but I'd also consider
them superfluous.

(If there are real differences between en_GB and en_US that we should
keep, please speak up ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--