[apparmor] problems with setrlimit in Saucy

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Fri Oct 18 01:06:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 08:54:18PM -0400, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
> This is not directly related to AppArmor, but since apparmor allows
> setting rlimits in profiles I was wondering if anyone has noticed
> problems with setrlimit in recent kernels?
>
> I upgraded to Ubuntu Saucy (13.10) today and have started noticing
> problems both with RLIMIT_NPROC and RLIMIT_AS. See also
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/360621/major-problems-with-setrlimit-after-upgrading-to-saucy.
>
> Have there been any recent changes in setrlimit?

My hypothesis for the RLIMIT_NPROC change might be down to the Apache MPM
in use; if you were using prefork before and worker afterwards, the extra
pile of threads created by Apache httpd may not show up via simple ps(1)
listings, but they still count as "processes" because Linux processes and
threads are highly comingled things.

Check the difference between ps -ef and ps -eLf and see if that explains
NPROC changes...

Thanks