[apparmor] GSoC proposal text v3

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Tue Mar 12 06:42:36 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 07:48:05PM -0700, John Johansen wrote:
> Alright so we have a GSoC proposal (current text below), through opensuse
> and I would like to put a couple of potential revisions to a vote.
>
> 1. Allowing for the Go language as an implementation option. I did this
>    to allow the student some options. But there are good arguements
>    against it, like introducing a new language to the code base.
>
> 2. Whether we should add C back in as a requirement and make the base
>    library part be in C so it can be shared with the parser. And be
>    integrated into the current libapparmor

I'd be happy to remove our Perl dependency, and if adding Go opens it
up to more interested candidates than Python alone, that still sounds
like a win. I'm not wedded to Go, so my feelings won't be hurt if we
leave it out.

I had always assumed that library-level work would be done in C. The
dividing line may move around, of course, but some things are easier
done and better done in C.

Thanks