[apparmor] Problem with audit rule modifier

azurIt azurit at pobox.sk
Sun Jun 30 07:45:58 UTC 2013

>>> By only logging you mean logging of an access but not granting permission?
>>

>> I mean logging of an access AND granting permission.
>>
>ok, I just wanted to be sure as we have had misunderstandings before around audit, with people expecting it to only change the auditing behavior and not grant permissions.
>
>ie. audit /** w,
>
>as a rule to catch any writes regardless of what other rules are. It would be a nice ability to have but the language doesn't allow specifying only the audit behavior like this atm.

>>> these two rules where necessary to get logging in complain mode?
>>

>> Well, i just read in docs that 'w' implies also 'a', so only the second line is necessary. But yes, i had to use 'audit deny' for logging to work (and, as i want to NOT deny the action, i had to use complain mode).
>>
>Okay

>>> It is not known.
>>>
>>> Can you send us the full profile you are using?
>>

>> Here is the complete profile (i already removed that 'a' line and tested it):
>>
>> /usr/lib/apache2/mpm-itk/apache2 {
>>         network,
>>         capability,
>>         file,
>>         audit deny /home/**/*.php w,
>> }
>>

>> As i said, i'm running this in complain mode because i don't want to deny the action on last line. I want to use apparmor only for logging access to files via PHP (i will be processing that log later).
>>
>Can you please provide the following information to help as diagnose the problem.
>
>Kernel version: use the command     uname -a
>Parser version: use the command     apparmor_parser -v
>State dump from the compiler:  use the command
>  apparmor_parser -D dfa-states -QT profile_file 2>states_file
>
>Compiled output of your profile: use either of the following commands
>  apparmor_parser -S profile_file  > output_file
>  apparmor_parser -o output_file profile_file
>
>* the -o version may not work on older parsers.
>* profile_name is the file name where your profile is stored
>* states_file and out_file are just file that the output will be dumped in. So that you can attach them

Kernel version: 3.2.47
Parser version: 2.7.103 (it was the -V switch)
Client software are packages from Debian Wheezy running on Debian Squeeze. I'm using my own kernel patched with grsecurity.

Attaching 3 files from that 3 commands. Last two commands printed this warning (probably ok):
Warning: found apache2 in /etc/apparmor.d/force-complain, forcing complain mode

To avoid misunderstanding: I'm currently using this profile (in complain mode):

/usr/lib/apache2/mpm-itk/apache2 {
        network,
        capability,
        file,
        audit deny /home/**/*.php w,
}

But i WANT to use this profile (not in complain mode):

/usr/lib/apache2/mpm-itk/apache2 {
        network,
        capability,
        file,
        audit /home/**/*.php w,
}

Logging is working only in the first one so i'm forced to use it instead of second one. Hope i'm clear enough. Thank you.

azur