[apparmor] DBus rule syntax for subject and peer components

Tyler Hicks tyhicks at canonical.com
Thu Jun 20 19:51:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-20 11:41:21, Tyler Hicks wrote:
> Proposals that were decisively approved through voting:
>
> * Proposal 3.1 - Change subj= to subject=
> * Proposal 3.2 - Move the access to the front
>
> Unfortunately, the way that I laid out the proposals in the last email
> did not result in clear decision on whether people preferred the
> original Proposal 3's grouping like subject=() or Proposal 3.5's
> subject {} style.
>
> I've revised the profiles to include what we have already approved. I'm
> asking for a *quick* set of responses to finalize this today.
>

> * Revised Proposal 3 - subject=() and peer=()
>
> dbus [acquire] [<bus>] [subject=(<subject>)],

Revised Proposal 3 gets my vote, but only by a slim margin.

I like the curly brace grouping style the best, but the possibility of
rules like this keep me from picking 3.5:

dbus send peer {name=org.freedesktop.DBus path=/org/freedesktop/DBus interface=org.freedesktop.DBus member={Hello,ListNames}}

Compare that to 3's style:

dbus send peer=(name=org.freedesktop.DBus path=/org/freedesktop/DBus interface=org.freedesktop.DBus member={Hello,ListNames})

Tyler