[apparmor] [opensuse-project] Google Summer of Code'13 accepted student

John Johansen john.johansen at canonical.com
Fri Jun 7 02:41:44 UTC 2013

On 06/06/2013 05:24 PM, Christian Boltz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Freitag, 7. Juni 2013 schrieb Kshitij Gupta:
>> @John as suggested I used the configparser module and as it turns out
>> we do have a problem with using it. Actually in the config files at
>> present the default section is represented by an empty string (for
>> e.g. in /etc/apparmor/easyprof.conf ), but configparser needs a none
>> empty section header and hence raises an Error for the same.
>
> We have several styles of config files:
yes its a bit of a pain
> a) INI-like files (logprof.conf) - configparser can handle them
> b) shell-style config files (easyprof.conf, notify.conf, subdomain.conf)
>    with parameter=value or parameter="value" lines
> c) XML (reports.conf, which isn't used anymore)

I'll take this farther and say please ignore reports.conf, its deprecated

> d) a CSV-line style + comments (severity.db, separated by whitespace)
> e) a mix of "parameter" and "parameter=value" (parser.conf)

right, though we could extend this to be
  parameter=true
for the
  parameter
case and allow for
  parameter="value"

the parser could retain support for lines of just
  parameter

but a new tool wouldn't have to necessarily support the new format. That
should bring parser.conf into the shell-style class of files as it already
supports # as the comment

I wouldn't be adverse to shoving simple parsing for this into the library.