[apparmor] AppArmor on Debian

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 16 12:25:34 UTC 2012

I would like to use AppArmor on the new Debian Wheezy. The wiki is highly
outdated on this topic: http://wiki.apparmor.net/index.php/Distro_debian.
Below a suggestion for instructions. However the AppArmor profiles seem
buggy atm (or I am doing something wrong).

1) Install the latest version of Debian Wheezy

2) Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add "apparmor=1 security=apparmor" to your
boot line(s). E.g it will read:

title Default
root (hd0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/xvda1 ro apparmor=1 security=apparmor
initrd /initrd.img

3) Reboot

4) apt-get install apparmor apparmor-profiles

5) copy profiles to /etc/apparmor.d/ and run: sudo service apparmor restart