[apparmor] [opensuse-factory] 12.1 is around the corner, and I must make my concerns known.

Christian Boltz opensuse at cboltz.de
Wed Aug 17 21:40:33 UTC 2011

Hello,

on Mittwoch, 17. August 2011, Roger Luedecke wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 16, 2011 02:43:37 PM Christian Boltz wrote:
> > There is aa-notify (accidently named /usr/sbin/aa-apparmor_notify
> > in 11.4).
[...]
> > Unfortunately a security feature of aa-notify strikes back - it
> > drops privileges after startup and then can't access
> > /var/log/audit/ anymore. I'm just sorting that out with Jamie (one
> > of the AppArmor developers). Unless there is a patch, the
> > workaround is   chmod 755 /var/log/audit/ (or better use chgrp
> > trusted and chmod 750)
>
> Well now, then we just need to get this working then. That will be a
> massive boon. Quite frankly I can't imagine why this wouldn't have
> been a priority. The majority of Linux/openSUSE users I know are
> home desktop users. In fact, I only know one person who uses a
> non-enterprise supported Linux in a corporate space... which is
> openSUSE proudly enough.

For some reason, the answer from John Johansen didn't reach
opensuse-factory. Therefore I'm forwarding it manually:

Datum: Mittwoch, 17. August 2011 06:42
Von: John Johansen <john.johansen at canonical.com>

[... quoting removed ...]

Roger,

It looks like Christian and Jamie have solved this one today, and the
patches should be available soon

In the meantime, the patches were commited to the AppArmor bzr repo.
You can download the fixed aa-notify from
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~apparmor-dev/apparmor/master/view/head:/utils/aa-notify

Backporting the fix to 11.4 shouldn't be too hard. If there are some
people seriously interested in this, I can probably help with it.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Nein, ich bin nicht die Signatur, ich putze hier nur...