sound broken after update

Frans Ketelaars ketelaars at wanadoo.nl
Fri Jun 22 15:39:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:45:41 -0700, David L wrote:

> I updated my Ubuntu 12.04 system today and I no longer have any sound.
>
> Sound was working fine before the update.
>
> alsamixer says "no such file or directory"
>
> pavucontrol shows "Dummy Output" as the only output and no input device.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
>             David

Have you already tried rebooting?

I found this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
but it says: "As of 2012, much of the information on this page is
outdated. Please refer to the official sound debugging guide and Ubuntu
Audio Development team's pages for more up-to-date information."

Unfortunately it seems ubuntu sound debugging info isn't as good as it
should be :(

Good luck!

    -Frans