32bit Firefox on amd64

Andy Main mainas1 at aston.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 22:11:11 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 06:54:45PM +0100, Andy Main wrote:
>

>>I was wondering if there is a way to install the 32bit version of
>>Firefox and the 32bit mozilla-flash on my amd64 install?  The
>>compatibility libs are already there (for OOo), I just don't know how
>>you install i386 debs.
>

> Are you having a problem with the 64-bit version of firefox?

No - firefox itself runs fine, however you cannot run a 32bit plugin
inside a 64bit browser.  Therefore no flash.  Java is possible through
Blackdown - Sun doesn't have a mozilla plugin for 64bit Java (just the
runtime).  There is a similar argument for mplayer a 32bit - windows
codecs are 32bit.

>> On a similar level I can't install the gstreamer-lame deb as it is i386
>> (so no juicer mp3's for me!).
>

> Where did you find this package?

I think there is a page in the ubuntu forums linking to a aliened rpm
for it.  It is a useful package, though I'm aware of the policies about
mp3.  I wouldn't even know where to start compiling one for 64bit (which
would probably be required)

Personally I would like to have a way to install 32bit apps on my
system.  It is either a matter of a static build or a package of 32bit
libs along with 32bit packages.  It would be _very_ special to have an
easy way of doing this via synaptic/whatever.

Thanks,

Andy.