Boot speed

Benjamin Roe ben_ubuntu at benroe.com
Wed Oct 6 17:28:34 UTC 2004

I'm using Ubuntu on a relatively old laptop (p3-600, 192Mb), which works
fine now with APM.
The only slightly problem is the amount of time Ubuntu takes to boot up
- it's about twice as long as the previous distribution I used. As
there's no hibernation support yet, it would be nice to be able to
startup more quickly.

Does anyone have any tips for reducing the boot time? I've already
stopped all the non-essential services (syslog,pcmcia etc), prelinked
everything etc. A lot of time seems to be spent in running the various
pci.rc, usb.rc scripts - is there a way to skip these?

Thanks,
Ben