Mirroring i386 locally

David Collett david.collett at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 07:03:08 UTC 2004

Hi all,
At work we use debian testing a lot especially on laptops which get
blown away and reinstalled regularly to suit peoples tastes. I now
wish to try out ubuntu.

What we find very useful (in debian) is to download the sarge DVD 1
via jigdo and copy it to any new machine or laptop that we install
debain on. eg:

1. install minimal sarge from dvd
2. copy dvd to directory on HDD
3. change apt.sources line to a 'file://' source pointing to directory
where dvd was copied

This works great because you dont have to think of everything you need
at install time, and you can apt-get from the most popular 70ish%
percent of debain whenever you need to, even when offline. All for the
price of about 4GB of disk space.

So my question is, how would I obtain a similar mirror of ubuntu for
this purpose?
I know I can mirror the full archive with rsync, but thats 27GB and I
only want one arch (i386), i368 only I would expect to be around 7GB
which is acceptable. The way the achive is organised in 'pool' means
theres no easy way to download i386 only, I'd have to do it
intellegently using the package files or something.

So is there a standard way for mirroring one architechure of a debian
distrobution like this (or are there jigdo files for ubuntu DVD
iso's?)

Thanks in advance,
Dave