Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 Released and What's Next

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 14 12:34:33 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.net> wrote:
> I hope that the Ubuntu / Ubuntu GNOME team will re-evaluate their
> attitudes WRT Evolution stability and begin treating it as a first-class
> citizen starting with Ubuntu 17.10.  An "A" version sounds like a
> perfect time to make that change!

Let me give a short explanation. The Evolution stack is huge—millions
of lines of code. For Ubuntu 16.10, I uploaded the latest evolution,
3.22, so that we could get the old webkit1 out of the default Ubuntu
GNOME install. But I feel if we include a GNOME module, there's an
obligation to try to try to push the bugfix updates for that series as
Stable Release Updates. evolution is now at version 3.22.6 and
evolution-data-server is at 3.22.7. That is a much higher number of
bugfix updates than most GNOME modules. Because of how big Evolution
is, it is difficult to verify these updates and I have not been able
to keep up very well.

I figured it would save a lot of work to share basically the same
Evolution versions for 16.10 and 17.04. (This is also the same version
that will be in the next Debian stable release later this year.)

We haven't decided yet what version we'll be targeting for 17.10 but I
don't expect that it will be 3.22 again.

Jeremy