GNOME Shell Freezes

lists at boywithwings.co.uk lists at boywithwings.co.uk
Thu May 28 00:42:07 UTC 2015

Heya all,

I've been getting quite a lot of crashes on my system whereas GNOME
shell freezes. Dropping back to tty, the GNOME shell process is maxing a
100% CPU. Doing the command "gnome-shell -r" doesn't restart the shell
and throws up an error (which I'll write down next time). This forces me
to restart via terminal to get anything to work again.

This was happening on 14.10 and now 15.04. I'm using the Nvidia Nouveau
open source drivers on a 2009 Macbook Pro.

Does anyone have any advice regarding troubleshooting this issue? I
don't really know how to use logs etc to find info on this sort of stuff.

Many Thanks
Leo