Wherefore art thou, Evolution 3.16?

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Thu May 14 21:38:19 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 05:42 +1000, Jackson Doak wrote:
> It's not so much no one is interested, it's just quite a bit of time
> and effort is required to get the evolution stack into the PPA with
> all of the ubuntu patches.

Thanks for the response!

To be clear, by "all the Ubuntu patches" do you mean Ubuntu patches to
Evolution?  Or Ubuntu patches to GNOME?

I guess I was under the impression that Ubuntu GNOME was basically
vanilla GNOME on Ubuntu, similar to GNOME on Debian, with perhaps some
build/environment/etc. modifications to integrate with Ubuntu base
system.  But, if changes to Ubuntu GNOME are pervasive enough to make
building/integrating GNOME's native Evolution code difficult, it seems
there's a lot more going on than I was aware of!

I do know Evolution tries to be able to build with both the previous
version of GNOME and the current version (so, GNOME 3.14 and 3.16 for
Evolution 3.16) so I imagined it was well-separated.