SVN Restructure (thoughts and feelings)

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Wed Apr 6 13:33:10 UTC 2005

Hello Team,

Well, we have tagged Hoary Hedgehog 5.04 in tags/ubuntu-docs-1.0

Well done everybody. Thanks soooooo much for all the time and effort you have
put into making Hoary a success.

Now we move on to the next release and we have set ourselves much to do.
However, before we start hacking the documents we need to do some restructure
in SVN. Reason? Well, we need to accommodate GNOME and KDE and we would like
to manage the translations in nn/ folders.

Ok so what's the problem? Well, all this restructuring will cause the make and
build to break and people will see many files/directories being added and
deleted. In short this could be disconcerting to some.

So what to do? Well, there are two potions really.
1. We make the changes in trunk/ and everyone bites the bullet with the flux.

2. We branch and we hack the branch.

What does this mean to you?

I would like team input on restructure as much as possible. If we do it in
trunk/ then everyone can see it without having to checkout a duplicate copy
which will be in the branch. A payload of about 57MB with svn management
files. It also means we don't have to track an additional copy and keep
merging between them as we do the restructuring. If we do it in a branch
people who want to have a say in the restructure will need to checkout the
branch, as I said, this is +-57. Advantage of this method is that the trunk
stays as it is now with make and build intact, but we will have to merge
changes in trunk into the branch. Otherwise we will have to do it once all
the restructure is over and that could be difficult depending on how far
apart trunk and branch are at that point. Both methods have the same end
result. With the branch method we just have to merge the branch into trunk
once we are finished with the chaos.

I would like to hear what people think if we could vote on both methods:

Vote Here:
* Trunk

* Branch

Thanks,