translating quickguide - thoughts post hoary

matthew.east at breathe.com matthew.east at breathe.com
Wed Apr 6 12:10:06 UTC 2005

Dear all,

What are the chances of getting the quickguide translated through Rosetta?
it's not in the at the moment. If it is possible to get it in there, we also
need to think about how to package it: the german translations we pulled out
of rosetta for release-notes and about-ubuntu had to be fairly heavily
edited before we could get them to validate as xml and include them in the
doc packages. Also we had the problem that both the documents appeared twice
on rosetta.

Is it feasible/desirable to translate the quickguide (and other future
guides) through rosetta? Obviously, long documents such as these are
difficult to coordinate translation without a decent and reliable system.
Hats off to the French team for already translating it, but for other
languages we're gonna have to think about this carefully IMO.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. The quickguide and other
future docteam guides will be an incredibly important part of the local
(non-web) Ubuntu support system.

regards,
Matt