Second call for helpers: C++ transition

Daniel Holbach dh at mailempfang.de
Sun May 15 07:02:00 CDT 2005

Hey everybody,

as you hopefully have already heard: We're doing the step, the big one:
We use g++-4.0 as default soon. Documentation is available on [1], [2],
[3] and [4].

[1] https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/CxxLibraryList
[2] https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/BreezyToolchainTransition
[3] https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UniverseCxxTransition
[4] https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/CxxApplicationList

For those of you being familiar with the issue the next sentences might
sound like a load of waffle, but let me impress the seriousness of your
changes on you: not only do the application packages depend on the
libraries but other libraries as well. You can easily imagine how
improper changes will be propagated throughout the archive.

Every package is done in a different way, so please try to understand
the packaging system before you apply your changes. It's not just a
matter of adding "c2" to every library package.

My first patches were incomplete as well, so try to make sure, you
follow these steps:

      * Do everything mentioned on
        https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/CxxLibraryList

      * Check, if the package needs a GCC-4.0 related patch. Check
        https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UniverseCxxTransition

      * Remember to add the Conflicts/Replaces and tighten the
        Build-Depends (of other C++ libraries - check CxxLibraryList for
        the exact version numbers).

      * We received patches with wrong dependencies, not/improperly
        updated Build-Depends, empty library packages, not updated
        shlibs.

      * Attach the debdiff between these two versions to the bug
        report.

      * Please CC either Matthias (doko at ubuntu.com) or me
        (dh at mailempfang.de) in the bugreports.

You might have heard that the Big Bang will be on Tuesday (May 17th,
2005), but if you have time and would like to give us a hand, start
working on the relevant patches now. You will make the whole workflow
more smooth, we will finish the whole transition earlier and there is
more time to discuss and review patches.

If you run into trouble or don't know where to start, just join
#ubuntu-{devel,motu,toolchain} - everybody will be delighted to help you
out.

Thank you very much, have a nice day,
 Daniel