Daily Install 3-5-05 Report

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 6 21:58:23 CST 2005

<quote who="Pete Shinners">

> I don't like the behavior of the default window list. There is a lot of
> room at the bottom of the screen and all the window buttons expand to be
> the size of the largest window title. It's a bit strange with a terminal
> open. As I change directories the window title changes and all the window
> list buttons flop around.

These two are known problems that will hopefully be fixed upstream for GNOME
2.12.

> SSH not installed by default, ugh.

We have a no-open-ports policy by default, so there wouldn't be much point
shipping it by default on the desktop install (particularly when most users
wouldn't use it anyway). It's included on the CD, so you can immediately
install it if you need it.

> Synaptic added repositories for warty universe? I have the hardest time
> knowing if I am on a "hoary" or "warty" distro.  I think the about screen
> in About Ubuntu is wrong? This is very confusing to me, even the version
> numbers don't make a lot of sense.

Yes, the About Ubuntu page hasn't been changed since warty because we've
been waiting for a much nicer version from our documentation team. Have a
look at the output of 'cat /etc/lsb-release' to see which release you're
running.

(Just a bunch of desktop-related answers from me.)

- Jeff

--
gnome.conf.au 2005: April 19th            http://live.gnome.org/Canberra2005

                             He's not an idiot.