X Configuration Modification.

William Robinson airbaggins at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 28 10:00:59 CDT 2005

Hello list.

First, a brief introduction, I am a relatively new ubuntu-pusher. I have
made four installations of it in the last month. I find ubuntu most
impressive. The usability engineering is most commendable.

I see that you are in need of an X Configuration Modification. During
the last installation of Ubuntu I did at the weekend, I had to configure
  a Matrox video card with a monitor on it, and an NVidia-based video
card with a monitor and a TV plugged into it. The difficulty of keeping
trying setups made me want to tackle the lack of an X configuration
modification program in ubuntu, but I would like to make one such that
it could be used in other distributions.

I am just emailing to see if anyone else has had an interest in this. I
have already spoken to Daniel Stone on IRC briefly. If anyone else has
made a start on this, I would like to know.  I don't want to tread on
anyone's toes. I would invite anyone to join me with any expectations,
ideas, or any kind of support.

I have started by using the libxf86config.a functions to parse the
current configuration file. I have made a C++/libgnomeuimm based
application, using glade for the design. I already have a subversion
repository active on my home machine for the development of this. Of
course, everything could change at this point, I have a few days off, so
I will try and do as much of this as I can now.

If anyone is really very interested:
svn co svn://hobbiton.cjb.net/gxconfig/trunk gxconfig

However, it doesn't do a lot much yet. I'm just letting y'all know.

Thanks for your time.
bill