Colony CD 2

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 1 10:30:28 CDT 2005

Hello world,

Colony CD 2 is ready. This is the second in a series of milestone CD
images that will be released throughout the Breezy development cycle, as
images that are known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD-build or
installer bugs, while representing very current snapshots of Breezy. You
can download it here:

  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/breezy/colony-2/

See http://www.ubuntu.com/wiki/Archive for access instructions.

This time round the Colony release does include a Live CD, although I'm
afraid that I haven't been able to test it at all due to personal time
constraints. Good luck! :-)

Pre-release versions of Breezy are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a
stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into
occasional, even frequent, breakage. They *are* recommended for Ubuntu
developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing
bugs.

Since Colony CD 1, Breezy has seen the transition of almost all C++
packages to g++ 4.0, and the modularisation of much of X.org.
Significant installer changes include:

  * Fixed GRUB configuration when dual-booting with a DOS/Windows
    installation on a hard drive other than the first (#1527).

  * If there isn't enough space to install Ubuntu but there is a
    filesystem with plenty of free space, offer to resize that partition
    and install Ubuntu into the free space created by doing so
    (InstallerSimpleResize).

  * Fixed timezone configuration in many languages (#9160).

  * Default to mounting partitions with useful pre-existing filesystems
    on subdirectories of /media (MountingHDDFilesystems).

  * Try to mount /media/cdrom as UDF (for DVDs) before trying ISO9660,
    and stop explicitly mounting it read-only so that packet writing to
    DVDs works.

  * Added preseeding/Kickstart support for GRUB passwords, thanks to
    Timo Aaltonen.

  * Reading Kickstart files from NFS is significantly faster now.

  * Switched to Linux 2.6.12. On PowerPC, the separate 32-bit power3 and
    power4 kernels have been removed and replaced by the single 64-bit
    powerpc64 kernel. Users of 64-bit PowerPC CPUs (including Apple G5
    systems) should note that they now need to boot with
    'install-powerpc64', 'live-powerpc64', etc. instead of the former
    *-power4 options.

Known installer issues:

  * There are no restricted drivers or firmware (fglrx, nvidia, madwifi,
    ipw2100/ipw2200, etc.) for Linux 2.6.12 in Ubuntu yet. We apologise
    for the inconvenience. If you own hardware that requires such
    drivers or firmware, you might be best advised to wait for the next
    milestone release.

  * mozilla-thunderbird is uninstallable on the amd64 CD, although this
    is an optional package not required for installation.

If you're interested in following changes as we further develop Breezy,
have a look at the breezy-changes list: