Release status update (or, Hoary and you)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 23 19:51:58 CST 2005

As I mentioned in the last update, we are now in feature freeze for the
Ubuntu 5.04 release in April.  The release schedule, as always, can be found
here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/wiki/HoaryReleaseSchedule

This means that our overall focus for this phase of the release is
stabilization.  No new features should be added to Hoary without explicit
authorization.  The specific priorities for the release are:

  1. Finish work on high-priority feature goals (primary and secondary), if
  any are still assigned to you.

  2. Triage and fix bugs.  If you don't have high-priority feature goals to
  work on, start reading ubuntu-bugs and reviewing open bug reports in
  Bugzilla.  I'll be making my usual effort to triage bugs, but there are
  far too many now for me to do it alone, and I'll need your support.

  3. Finish work on low-priority feature goals (targets of opportunity),
  ONLY if very little work remains to be done, otherwise they should be
  deferred to the next release.  Work on low-priority targets must be
  completed or deferred by March 2nd (preview freeze).

The current status of existing release goals is outlined here:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryGoals

Any feature which is not on that list is not appropriate for upload to
Hoary.  Features marked as "Deferred" or otherwise inactive are also
inappropriate for Hoary.  The following original Hoary goals (and others,
see HoaryGoals) are officially deferred to the next release:

- USplash (sorry, folks, but it didn't make the cut)
- Launchpad integration (server-side infrastructure isn't ready yet)

There are a few projects which are lacking status updates; some of those are
likely to be deferred as well, as the situation unfolds.  We're getting down
to the bare metal, with the Hoary preview release scheduled for three weeks
from today, and it's time to give Hoary a bath and make it presentable.

If you have any questions about the release or your role in it, please
follow up here or email me off-list.

--
 - mdz