Compressing packages with bzip2 instead gzip?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Fri Dec 9 18:43:04 GMT 2005

Compression algorithms generally perform better the more data you give
them, especially 7-zip.  Rather than compress each language pack
individually, I decided to try compressing them all as one unit.  I
extracted all of the language packs and tared up and compressed the
resulting directory tree:

.tar:     184,934,400
.tar.gz:  61,478,589
.tar.bz2: 49,982,949
.tar.7z:  23,081,869

As you can see, 7-zip's compression REALLY improved with the combined
data set giving a space savings of 54% over the original .debs, and 43%
over individually 7-zipping each package.  Are all of these language
packs on the setup/live cds?  If so then compressing them this way would
free up 27 MB of space.  I wonder what other packages this could be
applied to?