Usplash question: a program is ready, but can we call it usplash?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 8 12:37:38 CDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 07:11:57PM +0200, Vincenzo Ampolo wrote:

> I have called this new project 'usplash' because it means Usermode Splash
> and it was (and it is) the first usermode bootsplash in the World.
>
> One of my readers asked: ''Why are you writing this?  Now we are almost
> ready for a usplash-0.1 release but we can't since we need your [the
> Ubuntu developers] consensus to use that name that was thought by Ubuntu
> developers first.'' (and relates to the design ideas on the Ubuntu wiki).
>
> Information about my usplash (this usplash) can be found at:
>
>   http://wiki.nanofreesoft.org/index.php/UsplashHowDoesItWork
>
> Can we have your consensus.  Can we use the 'usplash' name or should I
> choose a different one?

Thanks for your thorough explanation; it is much appreciated.

Our plan has been to discuss and develop a specification for USplash at
Ubuntu Down Under.  One of the items on the pre-conference agenda is to
review your implementation and determine whether it meets our requirements,
and so can be used as a basis for our work.

http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDownUnder/BOFs/UbuntuDevelopment/USplash

I don't think that we can make a decision on this without having someone
actually review your code, and since we have all been busy preparing the
release, this hasn't been possible yet.

(CCing Daniel Stone, who will be working on USplash during the Breezy
development cycle)

--
 - mdz