how to extract udeb file?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 5 14:50:46 CDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 02:46:56PM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
> This is more a user Q, but i want to eat lunch instead of join that list ;)
>
> "The syslog you posted indicates that no post-base-installer hooks are
> present, which implies that you aren't using preseed 1.02ubuntu4." -
> Colin Watson
>
> Ok, so I found on the CD:
> pool/main/p/preseed/network-preseed_1.02ubuntu4_all.udeb
>
> but I can't figoure out how to get the preseed file out!

You *so* don't want to do that just to get the post-base-installer hook
to work. Just use a newer initrd; there have been lots of builds since
then.

(udpkg -i /cdrom/pool/main/p/preseed/preseed-common_1.02ubuntu4_all.udeb
should do the job inside the installer, though.)

> ar xv
> /var/www/ubuntu/pool/main/p/preseed/network-preseed_1.02ubuntu4_all.udeb
> x - debian-binary
> x - control.tar.gz
> x - data.tar.gz
>
> root at shaz:~ # tar xzvf control.tar.gz
> ./
> ./templates
> ./isinstallable
> ./postinst
> ./control
>
> root at shaz:~ # tar xzvf data.tar.gz
> ./

Right, many udebs have no useful data content, although preseed-common
does.

In a normal system, 'dpkg-deb -e' and 'dpkg-deb -x' are easier ways to
extract the control and data areas respectively.

Cheers,