Another extremely urgent nVidia driver testing request

Frederik Dannemare frederik at dannemare.net
Mon Apr 4 07:22:23 CDT 2005

On Monday 04 April 2005 14:13, Carl Karsten wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > nVidia have released another version of their driver (1.0.7174) as
> > an errata release to 1.0.7167 with very few changes.  We're
> > hopefully going to pick this one up for Hoary, but as with 7167, it
> > needs a fair bit of testing.  If anyone with an nVidia card could
> > please add this to their sources list:
> > deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~daniels/l-r-m/ i386/
> > for i386 users, or:
> > deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~daniels/l-r-m/ amd64/
> > for amd64 users, and run a dist-upgrade (or 'Smart Upgrade'),
> > reboot,
>
> Added the source, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, 80mb of stuff,
> reboot, no nvidia splash screen - do I need something else?

Well, first of all, with some option enabled (forget what it's called -
NvLogo?) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf you don't see the logo. Another thing to
check in xorg.xonf is whether it has Driver "nv" or Driver
"nvidia" (latter is the proprietary driver).

> Is there a shell command that will report if I am using the binary
> drivers?

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Also, check if the nvidia module is loaded: lsmod|grep nvidia
 (if not, modprobe it and add it to /etc/modules)

B/R,
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik at dannemare.net
http://frederik.dannemare.net | http://www.linuxworlddomination.dk
Key fingerprint = 30CF 7AD3 17D9 1A63 A730  ECA6 0D4C 2C97 9D9A 238E