Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sat Nov 19 05:36:52 CST 2005

  "I was beginning to think the old man was a few pennies short of a
  dime when in the distance, much like thunder, I heard a 'quack'. I
  have heard mighty dragons roar in fury and anger in the heat of
  battle, but nothing was equal to the earth shaking rumblings of this
  'quack'."

    -- Jason Frieling, "Of Dragons and Ducks"

This is Dapper Drake. Pre-release versions of Dapper are *not*
encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not
comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. They *are*
recommended for Ubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing,
reporting, and fixing bugs.

Flight CD 1 is the first in a series of milestone CD images that will be
released throughout the Dapper development cycle, as images that are
known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD-build or installer bugs,
while representing very current snapshots of Dapper. You can download it
here, for Ubuntu and Kubuntu respectively:

  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/dapper/flight-1/
  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/dapper/flight-1/

See http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Archive for access instructions.

There aren't many visible installer changes beyond Breezy yet, as we've
been concentrating on merging work from Debian unstable, on getting
things up and running at all, and on design work for this development
cycle. To date, there have been 5219 uploads to Dapper, of which most
(4064) have been automatic syncs from Debian unstable. Many of the
remainder have been improvements to the rest of the distribution.

However, this release does feature a few installer improvements which
some people may find useful (many synced from Debian), including:

  * FAT filesystems may no longer be mounted in places which will break
    the system (#5374, #6441).

  * The timezone question has been overhauled, is now asked before base
    system installation, and will no longer be asked at all for
    countries with only one meaningful modern timezone.

  * Improved SMP kernel detection (for netboot or DVD installations).

  * Various improvements to installer log file management.

  * Writable CD/DVD devices are now properly excluded from the
    partitioner.

This is quite an early set of images, so you can expect some bugs. Among
them are the following (so you don't need to bother reporting these if
you encounter them):

  * The live CD boot text is wrong; it describes the install CD. Either
    just press Enter, or type 'live <your-kernel-options>' if you need
    to pass special kernel options such as vga=771.

  * Just before the first reboot, you may see a screen asking you to
    select the debconf priority, which will then disappear after a few
    seconds when the system reboots. Ignore this screen; it only appears
    by mistake, and it's harmless.

  * The Kubuntu powerpc CDs are a little oversized, and require 700MB
    media as opposed to our normal 650MB requirements.

If you're interested in following changes as we further develop Dapper,
have a look at the dapper-changes list:

We also suggest that you subscribe to the ubuntu-devel-announce list if
you're interested in following Ubuntu development. This is a low-traffic
list (a few posts a week) carrying announcements of approved
specifications, policy changes, alpha releases, and other interesting
events. Future Flight CD announcements may only go to this list.